Updated Letter from the Superintendent Regarding the Winter Weather & MPPS School Schedule
As we continue to navigate our way through this crazy, never-ending winter, I want to provide an update regarding where our district stands with school closures and a potential make-up schedule.
To date, we have had 17 days of closure due to winter related weather issues. This is a historic number of days that has significantly impacted the state required 180 days and 1098 hours of instruction. Previously, the record was 13 days of closure in one school year.
Our unprecedented number of weather related cancellations have reached the point where we must make some schedule adjustments. These adjustments, based on the information we have today, are bulleted below. Please be sure to add these to your calendar:
- Secondary exams will not begin on June 5th. They will begin on Friday, June 14th, which will be a full day of school for all students DK-12th grade.
- June 6th and 7th will now be full days of school for all students DK-12th grade.
- Monday, June 17th will be a full day of school for grades DK- 5th and a half day of school for students in grades 6th- 12th due to exams.
- Tuesday, June 18th will be a half day of school for all students in grades DK-12th. This is the last day of school.
- Mt. Pleasant High School graduation ceremony will be held on Sunday, June 2, 2019 at 1:30 p.m. at McGuirk Arena on the campus of Central Michigan University. Additional details will be shared from MPHS after spring break.
At this point, these are the calendar changes that must happen due to current state law. Should we have additional school closure time, we will have to make up those days also. Moving forward, we will continue to monitor any changes in legislation. If there is a change that impacts our calendar, we will include the information in future communications.
As we work on wrapping up this year, we are also knee-deep in planning for the 2019-2020 school year. As you make summer plans, please note that the likely first day of school with students for next year will be Monday, August 26, 2019. Professional development activities will likely occur during the week of August 19th.
Thank you for your continued patience with our calendar. We are thrilled to welcome the warmer, spring-like weather this week! Have a safe and relaxing spring break!
Take good care,
Superinentendent, Mt. Pleasant Public Schools